Thoughts possess dynamic power. You can think yourself in and out of a situation. You can think yourself sick or healed. You can think yourself into lack or abundance. Some of us are even addicted to negative thinking. To change our circumstances you must start thinking differently. Don’t passively accept your bad circumstances because any situation can be improved.
Six Steps to change negative thoughts into positive*
- For a full day purposely speak positive about everything.
- Continue this for a week after which take a break and allow yourself to think realistic for a couple of days. You will recognize that what you once thought was realistic is actually negative.
- Feed your mind as you feed your body. Nourish it with wholesome thoughts. Read the gospels writing out all verses about faith. Commit these verses to memory.
- Picture in your mind of what should be, with details. Believe it. Pray about it. Work at it.
- Make a list your positive friends and those who are less than positive. For a time get closer to your positive friends until you’ve absorbed their spirit. Then you will be able to bring their spirit back to your negative friends.
- Pray a lot. Pray constantly. Let your prayers be of thanksgiving with the assumption God is fulfilling the good plan he has for you (Jeremiah 29:11).
More tips for a positive attitude…
- Stand against negative thoughts and don’t complain. Negative thoughts loose power when we stand against them. They only have power when you give it to them.
- Make your mind and thoughts positive by eliminating negative clutter from your conversations. These seeds of contention and grow into overwhelmingly negative thoughts. To gain dominance over your thoughts deliberately speak positively about everything.
- Avoid arguments. When negative words are spoken counteract with them with a positive statement.
- Attack your problem and break it into pieces. Put all mental power into it. Live your life on a spiritual basis so God’s principles work within you.
- Pray about your problem to discover the right thing to do. Believe Gods is helping you. As Mark explains (11:24) “whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”
- Quiet your mind so inspiration can come then you will be able to visualize achievement.
- Repeat Romans 12:2 as often as needed. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
When I finally realized and accepted I needed to change my thought life God gave me Romans 12:2. I said “Jesus, renew my mind” every time I had a negative thought. At first I repeated this every few minutes, even seconds. But at the end of two weeks I realized I hadn’t had a negative thought in several days. That thought came to me as I was walking into a store. When I returned to my car it wouldn’t start. I just laughed. I knew I was being tempted or tested and this time I was going to pass. I calmly said “God this is yours to take care of” and then the car started. I could have chose to be negative and think “this is what I get for my trouble and hard work” but I chose the positive way and received a blessing.
Understand this process takes time. You didn’t become a negative thinker overnight, unlearning these thought processes will take time also. Change is possible. Remember, God can’t give us anything bigger than our faith is prepared to handle.
“A clean mind will deliver power. Therefore, flesh out your thoughts, give yourself a clean mental engine remembering that a clean mind…always delivers power” Peale
Reflect on what thoughts lead to a negative attitude. Find a verse or verses to meditate on to overcome those negative thoughts.
Books on a positive attitude:
Today matters by John Maxwell
Attitude is everything by Jeff Keller
As a man Thinketh by James Allen
Your best life now by Joel Osteen
Power of positive thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
Verses on a positive attitude
|Romans 12:2 (ESV)||Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.|
|Philippians 4:13 (ESV)||I can do all things through him who strengthens me.|
|2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV)||We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ|
|Philippians 4:8 (ESV)||Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.|
|Romans 8:28-31 (ESV)||And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?|
|Romans 12:2 (NIV)||Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.|
|Mark 7:20 (NLT)||It is what comes from inside that defiles you.|