“Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:7-9 (NIV)
Be strong and courageous. How do we do that? Obey and mediate on God’s word; make it part of you. We will have circumstances that challenge our strength and courage but we will overcome because God is with us.
Tips to finding courage
- Realize your own limitations so you can depend on God. Find your hope in Him
- Meditate on God’s word. Find and memorize scripture that deals with your particular problem, i.e. fear, people pleasing, etc.
- Break out of your comfort zone. The more you practice trying new things the more you will build confidence, courage and trust in God.
- Deal with your failures. When you realize they don’t define you then you can step out with courage.
- Realize your strength comes from God and he is stronger than any enemy
- Recall those times that God helped you in the past.
- Look to others, contemporary and in the bible. Learn how they handled difficult situations.
- PRAY! Ask God for courage and strength. “As soon as I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me strength.” (Psalm 138:3)
Attitude Challenge – meditate on these questions this week:
- What prevents me from acting in an attitude of courage? Stress, uncertainty, fear, opinions of others.
- How does lack of courage affect our relationships especially with god, family, or friends?
- What helps you find courage when faced with something new or uncomfortable?
- How would your life improve if you demonstrated more courage?
What other bloggers say about courage:
5 leadership lessons learned on a zipline by Mary Dreliszak at Mary Motivates. Practical thoughts on having courage to move forward
Hello and Goodbye Sweet Angel by Magaly Lainez at Magaly Takes a Leap of Faith. Magaly shows how we can have courage to move forward with God through her personal story of heartbreak.
Courage – Take Heart by Ally Hamilton at Dear Ally. Without courage “we end up betraying our own hearts” and give in to the fear that will steal our dreams.
Books on courage:
Forgotten Girls: Stories of Hope and Courage by Kay Strom, Michele Rickett
Just Courage: God’s Great Expedition for the Restless Christian by Gary A Haugen
Courage and Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential by Gordon T Smith
Bible verses on courage
|2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV)||For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.|
|Joshua 1:9 (ESV)||Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”|
|Psalm 31:24 (ESV)||Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!|
|Psalm 56:3-4 (NIV)||When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise – in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?|
|Deuteronomy 31:6 (NIV)||Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them,
for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
|1 Chronicles 28:20 (NLT)||Then David continued, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don’t be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see to it that all the work related to the Temple of the Lord is finished correctly.|
|Philippians 4:13 (NLT)||For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.|
|Isaiah 41:10 (NLT)||Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.|
|1 Corinthians 16:13 (NLT)||Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong.|
|Psalm 28:7 (NLT)||The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.|
|Isaiah 41:13 (NIV)||For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.|
|Psalm 9:10 (NLT)||Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for you.|
|Psalm 27:14 (NLT)||Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord.|
Next Week: Quotes on courage
Share your ideas and stories of courage. When have you exhibited courage and what resulted?